The Questionnaire Revealed
by The Survey Coach
Dr. Pamela Campanelli
Wednesday 1 November to Friday 3 November 2017
Sydney Business School
Gateway Building, 1 Macquarie Place
- Create great survey questions and questionnaires on factual, subjective and sensitive topics.
- Look at the different needs for quantitative interview and self-completion surveys.
- Learn how to get better response rates.
- Discover the pros and cons of designing and implementing internet questionnaires.
Dr. Campanelli, an international survey practitioner, believes in delivering courses that are lively and engaging, foster an informal and interactive atmosphere, communicate concepts in a straightforward and accessible way, illustrate the material through the use of ‘real life’ examples while at the same time sharing what is known in the survey research literature, and provide workshops to put theory into practice. This course covers how to write good survey questions, combine them into a meaningful questionnaire, and test them effectively while also looking at key differences among face-to-face, telephone, postal and internet surveys. Added this year is a day on how to improve your response rates and ways to optimise the design and implementation of internet survey questionnaires.
- The key principles of questionnaire design to ensure respondent understanding
- Techniques for measuring facts, past events, attitudes and sensitive topics
- Issues in assessing the validity and reliability of the questions
- Techniques for building a meaningful questionnaire from individual questions
- Methods for testing questionnaires (cognitive interviews, focus groups, and many more)
- Special guidelines for interview surveys versus self-completion surveys
- Tips for improving response rates
- Understanding, designing and implementing internet surveys including:
- What is unique about internet surveys (pros and cons)
- Making design decisions (e.g., HTML formats, scrolling vs. paging designs, the use of multimedia, etc.)
- An overview of internet surveys for mobile devices
- “Open surgery” where participants can receive comments on their own questionnaires in a group setting or one-on-one with Dr. Campanelli
This course is aimed at anyone wishing to improve their survey questionnaires. The course is useful for both people new to questionnaire design and those who have experience and would like to extend their knowledge. The course will benefit not only people who anticipate designing a questionnaire in the future but also those in the role of critiquing commissioned or existing research.
Dr. Pamela Campanelli is an independent Survey Methods Consultant, UK Chartered Statistician and Chartered Scientist with a background in psychology, survey methodology and statistics. Previously, she was a Research Director at the Survey Methods Centre of the (UK) National Centre for Social Research. Prior to joining NatCen, she was involved with surveys and survey methodology projects at the Institute for Social and Economic Research at the University of Essex, the Center for Survey Methods Research at the U.S. Bureau of the Census, and the Office of Educational Resources and Research at the University of Michigan.
Her main research interests are the study of survey error and data quality issues, with an emphasis on questionnaire design, question testing strategies and mixed modes of data collection. She regularly teaches short courses for a variety of organisations, universities, central government departments and survey research companies in the UK and internationally. For more information see: www.thesurveycoach.com
Participants will receive a paper copy of the PowerPoint slides used in the presentations and an extended reading list, arranged by topic, with suggested further reading.
Fees and Information
The Questionnaire Revealed
Location: Sydney Business School, Level 8 Gateway Building, 1 Macquarie Place, Circular Quay
Duration: Wednesday, 1 Nov: Registration 9-9:20; course from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm
Thursday and Friday, 2 & 3 Nov: Course from 9:15 am to 4:30 pm
Morning and afternoon coffee/tea and a sandwich lunch are included.
Contact Anica Damcevski, firstname.lastname@example.org or 02 4221 5435, for further information.